Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, June 8, 2015

What's REALLY going on!! (In the classroom...)

So, since the "data" show that I'm a failing teacher by the most insane measures, I consider it my responsibility to bring to you the actual learning that takes place in my classroom, including what happened about 45 minutes ago!

We're not just watching Lion King II: Simba's Pride, but we're analyzing it like we would any literary work. (This is actually the first time that I've done this all year and I could kick myself in the head for NOT doing this! As a middle school level ELA teacher, I did it all the time and it really did help the children with comprehending and enjoying the literature. This year, being my first year in 3rd grade, I didn't know what to expect during the course of this year at all, I digress...)

I paused the video at some point when the fight between the outsiders and Simba's pride was beginning to end. A child noted the similarities and differences between the war with the outsiders and Simba's pride with the Civil War (which we've been studying).  She effectively compared and contrasted the two situations much to my amazement!!!! BUT, it's not a constructed response on a state mandated test, so then I guess such real learning doesn't count!

I love the fact that they are learning. Conversely, I hate the fact that "learning" has been so narrowly defined by non-educating, number crunching, try-to-make-everything-so-neat-and-reformy-by-relegating-education-to-an-algorithm folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment