Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Certified School Nurses

Today, the entire 3rd grade class took a trip to a local park, our last big "thing" for the school year as an entire class. One of my students was bitten by some insect and starting having a reaction that was "irritating and hurting", according to her.

I literally had to pause and think about what day it was and whether or not our school nurse was at our school on this particular day! Wednesday? YES!! "Baby girl, let's walk back to the school and get you some help." As we were walking, I called ahead to let our certified school nurse know what had transpired, how the patient...I mean student was feeling/reacting (I got carried away), and that we were on the way. ETA? 20 minutes. All was calm, but her mark was reddening.

I stayed with the child as our certified school nurse worked to ease her discomfort and treat the area that was giving my student trouble.

I took the time to again express my gratitude to her, our certified school nurse, for being at our school and that I believe in the idea of a (at least one) certified school nurse at every school, every day of the school week, no matter the size of the building or student population!

The School District of Philadelphia wants to outsource school health services.
Why not? Here are just four quick answers and reasons!

1.  We know that our certified school nurses are well trained and prepared to provide highly skilled services to students in public school populations, which often times means not only meeting the students' heath needs but also working closely with the counselor (if there is one, smh) to service the child's emotional, mental, and academic needs.

2.  Most, if not all of the school nurses we have left in the School District of Philadelphia, have the qualifications that could land them better paying and highly respected positions elsewhere! They choose to stay! That says a lot.

3.  You get what you pay for! The school district want to go cheap! Cheap almost always ends up costing! Contracting out health services? Suppose for whatever reason, they want out? Then what? Suppose for whatever reason, the company tanks? Then what? Suppose building principals have issues with these outside contractors and the level of care they provide? Then what?

4. The district approved 5 new charter schools!


No comments:

Post a Comment