Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, June 12, 2015

It's Just What We Do!

Plan. Teach. Collaborate. Grade. Help. Call. Email. Meet. Discuss. Comfort. Listen. Buy. ETC ETC ETC.

You know we do all of that. But teachers are the type who will, once we hear of an emergency closing of schools due to heat and the fact that many of our school buildings aren't equipped with proper cooling systems, ventilation, and all that jazz yet the district wants to approve new charter schools, a complex, polarizing system of which already eats more than $750M, ~1/3 of the school district's operating budget------wait, I lost my train of thought...

Oh yeah, we also advocate, but I digress.

Once we heard that schools were closing early, immediately jumped into the mode of making phone calls home--during class, sending texts--during class, updating our class social media sites--during class (because we do not get any extra time to do it). We do all of this to ensure that our students, our children are safe!!

We even walk children nearly a mile away to a location where they are safe and in the care of an adult because parents are at work.

We also walk children home because no one answered a phone and we wanted to be sure someone was there. They were.

It's just what we do.

Yet...



No comments:

Post a Comment