Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Roaches?!?

As I sit and reflect, I'm glad I went beyond your typical science lessons and ventured into entomology a bit. Even though I did indeed move on to other topics in science, we found ourselves constantly returning to bugs.

Our first Madagascar Hissing Cockroach died. We purchased him from the Insectarium here in Philly. 207's own Visiting Entomologist, Ms. Megan (Ph.D Candidate) came to the school to present other insects to us and left behind 4 additional Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches. Our other Visiting Entomologist, Mr. Ian, Google "Hung Out" with us earlier in the year.

Google Hanging Out with our own Visiting Entomologist, Mr. Ian (Ph.D candidate)
Learning from our very own Visiting Entomologist, Ms. Megan (Ph.D candidate)


Recently, I purchased a newer, more transparent container and that breathed fresher life into the kids (and me) at the end of the school year! We're excited to view our insects differently! We're excited about picking dandelions (a food the cockroaches love and a fact we learned on our own via Instagram videos and pictures)! We're excited to just watch the insects go about their business.

No comments:

Post a Comment