Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Quil Lemons, Photographer Extraordinaire!!

His name is Quil Lemons. He’s 18 years old and fine example of a young black man doing some good in the hood!

Quil and his camera work wonders and those wonders were on display at the James Oliver Gallery on the 700 block of Chestnut Street here in Philly!

After ascending Jacob’s ladder, an unending and very steep stairway to heaven, I quickly discovered the climb was worth it! I beheld white walls awash with Quil’s photographs, on display for all of the guests take in. Pictures of young men, young ladies, objects, and an object of his affection, his sister, Zuri!

I eventually made my way to introduce myself to mister picture-taker extraodinaire, mentioning that his mother and I went to school together and that I was proud of what he was able to accomplish!

During the evening I made my way to James Oliver, the owner of the gallery and thanked him for giving Quil the opportunity to showcase his talents. While it may not have been my place to thank him, I felt like I needed to do so on behalf of young black men everywhere who are making a fine mark on the world with our talents and abilities, one way or another! I informed him that I read the piece on Fox29’s website and appreciate the focus on the positive contributions of our youth to society at large!


As I sat and munched on the hors d’oeuvres that were available, I noticed Quil doing “Quil”, snapping candid shots of the guests he knew. As he snapped, I got a quick snap in myself, a pic of him getting pics!


Capturing young ladies seated just outside of the picture!

All the best to Quil and big ups to mom, Jade and grandmom for raising a great kid!! Now, on to New York for college!!







No comments:

Post a Comment