Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, June 26, 2015

Supreme Court

The Supreme Court of the United States ruled today that same sex marriages can be in all 50 states.  Those so-inclined and so-desiring and even well-wishers erupted in congratulatory cheers, hugs, and high-fives. A historical moment here in the states!

That same Constitution, upon which the decision was made, allows for a rule of law in this country where people can freely express their opinions, beliefs, and even petition the government, which we’ve seen.

Just as so many have expressed their beliefs, I have one and it’s that I disagree with the decision. (I felt that collective WHAT???????!!!!!!).

Do not misinterpret disagreement for hatred. I do not hate anyone. I just disagree, just like some people are disagreeing with me right now, as is your right. That’s one of the nice things about living here in the United States.

This is also one of those times when most seem to refer to the Bible to both defend their position and to cut at contrasting views. Well, it is the Bible upon which I base my beliefs; beliefs that should not misinterpret disagreement for hatred. I do not hate anyone. Living in America, we’re all entitled to a belief system, religious or otherwise, or no religious belief system at all, and we can disagree.

We can disagree! Or can’t we?


No comments:

Post a Comment