Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Teacher Feel Good Moments...

Only a small part of me is concerned with how my writing/tweeting/blogging about my meet-ups with former students is perceived. In this profession, where of late, we are perceived as enemy number one, it brings me so much joy to catch up with those who've been impacted the most by the learning experiences in room 105 (now 207).

Just today I caught up with so many and it made my heart glad!
Just before walking in the barbershop:



While in the barbershop, caught up with a former student. Didn't have much time to talk this time, but always see him in the neighborhood, so it's cool.

Walking out of the shop, at a stop light, this less than 30 second encounter with a former student:



Then later I was invited to a discussion led by a few of mine from 2012. They were leading various discussions and break-out sessions on some of the issues that are plaguing African American communities today including but not limited to: police brutality, the lack of African American studies classes, racial profiling, etc.







I feel good! This is why we do what we do! It's in my to keep connected with them, even years later! No words can describe the hugs and that warm feeling as soon as I walked into the lunchroom where we all gathered at the outset! They made my day and I made theirs!

No comments:

Post a Comment