Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, May 25, 2015

First Time for Everything

This year was my first year for many things.
1st time teaching 3rd grade
1st time as a self-contained teacher
1st time teaching math for an entire school year
1st time working with just 26 students
1st time moving classrooms
1st time (in a few years) not having the level of technology with which I've become accustomed to teaching
1st time with one accordion-style and 3 cinderblock walls and no bulletin board (several brands of tape and I still don't know how to get stuff to stay on the walls for more than a week)
1st time with cubbies in the classroom
And it's the first time I noticed a couple of grey hairs (wish this was a joke, but it's not...lol, smh)

If my brain was functioning a bit more normally, I'm sure I could think of many more firsts.

I've learned quite a bit about this age group and about me. Because I am a real teacher and because this is not community service nor a resume builder for me, I'm committed to reflecting and learning.

Reflecting on what went well and what didn't.
And if given this teaching assignment again, I'll build on what worked and improve on the areas that may not have worked so well.

Having taught 3 different grades during the past 3 school years and being in the #phled elementary school culture, it's not weird nor is it uncommon to not know what grade you'll teach the following school year, but in many instances, you may not even know what school you'll be at. I've taught 3 different grades in 3 different years, but there are some teachers who have been at 3 (or more) different SCHOOLS in 3 different years!


No comments:

Post a Comment