Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Lessons from "A Bug's Life"

"Silence gives consent." No doubt you've heard it, albeit not always true. But silence can provide the fodder of false assumption to principals, policy makers, law makers, and district officials that all is well. It can also solidify fear!

Sometimes the onus is on a few individuals and organizations to speak up, be the voice of many, and risk distorted classroom observations, censure (whatever that means...ha), daily classroom visits, ludicrous write-ups, etc. etc. etc. to say what is often spoken of behind closed doors, at dinner tables, in cafes, at the copier, and other private/not-so-private places. {Except that I/we cannot say what you can say, how you can say it and from the place and experience through which it is said. As a black man, I have particular experiences and places from which I speak. Your experience is not mine.}*

(Although I must say, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia voters have CLEARLY made their voices heard during the past two elections!!!!!!!!)

I understand (sometimes) people's desire to remain quiet. There are families to think about. They don't want to make waves. They don't want the principal hovering over them all the time. In some minds, we're all better off leaving well enough alone.

Well, if no one ever spoke up, I'd still be in chains, women still wouldn't be able to vote, neither would African Americans. We wouldn't have the Americans with Disabilities Act. There'd be no teachers of color. It would still be illegal to teach black kids how to read and write and THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON!!

As advocates, we can all stand to improve in our efforts and to encourage others to join us!!
Here to help us, "A Bug's Life!!" This from the desk of Ed-Deformers everywhere...a behind the scenes conversation in board rooms, offices, state capital AND capitol corridors across the country, DC, etc:


*Added hours after the original post as I pondered, staring into the night, consuming my blueberry water ice

No comments:

Post a Comment