Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, January 24, 2014

Light bulb moments!!

Of the three 5th grade classes I teach, one group is generally the most inquisitive. Each of my class sessions begins with SSR. Leisurely reading is a part of the daily routine no matter what!

During that time today, several students made several connections to what I taught and they learned when discussing the middle passage, potential slaves' journey from the western coasts of Africa to the Americas.

As they looked through the many reading material options available to them in the classroom, several students searched for and found books, articles, and magazines dealing with slavery. As they were reading, hands went up and many wanted to point out pictures and/or text that reinforced what they learned the prior day.

THIS is real learning!! Readers making connections between texts and previous learning experiences, this made my heart glad! And to think, no bubble sheets, no reading questions, no state tests, nothing!!! Imagine that! It's a shame that those who know nothing about teaching and learning were not around to experience these "light bulb" moments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment