Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

To be surprised or NOT be surprised?

I've been reading up on the history of Dunbar High School in Washington D.C. and thought to visit the D.C. Public School's website. I made my way to Dunbar High's site, then decided I wanted to see who was running the show this year.

Well, once I read that the current chancellor was an international relations major in undergrad and a leadership major in grad school, I didn't need to read the rest of the bio (though I did). Those two majors told me all I needed to know. Nonetheless I threw my hands up in a fit of rage anyhow!

I hope I never lose my shock and surprise at non-educators assuming roles that should be filled by well-intentioned, specially-trained, passionate educators. To lose my shock and surprise, in my mind, would mean that I've LOWERED my expectations and have come to expect or accept it.

I'm torn.

No comments:

Post a Comment