Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, January 24, 2014

Finding my way through science...

So, I'm a new science teacher. This is the first year that I've taught the subject and am finding my way. Today I formed a hypothesis about a particular activity that would reinforce food chain concepts and would engage all students, especially those who have Howard Gardner's bodily-kinesthetic intelligence. Then I experimented.

I know I'm tardy to the science teaching party, but today I married a few different ideas I saw online.  On 3x5 cards I glued prepared organism cards that I found. Each student received a card and was charged with the task of forming a food chain. The locked-arms chain was to include a producer, primary consumer (herbivore), and a secondary consumer (carnivore).

I demonstrated their task, along with two students, before sending them on their own. Oh wait!! I think I was supposed to insert here the phrase, "gradual release of responsibility" (a term I had no issue with until the school district got a hold of it and made it THE term of the year....a-no-ther term. a-no-ther year.)

We had fun today and even introduced the concept of food webs while fully engaged in this activity.

It was fun. Remember that? Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment