Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

No, I don't teach to the test...

No, I don't teach to the test!

Long after the politics of high stakes testing are gone, long after this program or that program has gained blinding excitement among those who don't know better then fizzled out, long after one president assumes then leaves office, what will my students, my children have learned? Their score on a third grade test? The "cross out" strategy? Do they even care? What did that do but create stress and anxiety?

I do not embrace educational deform efforts that include races and leaving children behind.

But, long after my students leave room 105 for the final time, I want to know that I have left an indelible mark on their lives! I want each and every one of them to know that they had a teacher who came everyday, presented his "A" game 95% or more of the time, taught with all his heart and helped them to grasp each and every concept, both academic and life-related!

So, no I don't teach to the test neither do I "test prep". I teach. The fact that each year the percentage of those who are "proficient" and "advanced" increases over the previous year, that simply is a by-product of good teaching and learning and not the coveted prize of months of teaching and sometimes toil!

They won't remember 1311 or 1082, but they will remember "the time when...", "that day Mr. Flemming...", and "that 'jawn' he brought to class".

No comments:

Post a Comment