Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, January 6, 2014

It felt good to just.....teach!

Today it really felt good to just, teach! With the exception of a few blips (of the 10 year old, human variety) today felt really good. This year my assignment is 5th grade Science and Social Studies, three 90 minute blocks, average of 27 or so in each group.

I told the kids last week (whichever one day it was we had to work) that I'd be taking a few days to review all of the content covered from September through December, synthesizing it all, then moving on. Today we were able to do that, particularly in Science.

Maybe it felt good because I could care less about all this test prep, Common Core, RTII, RTTT brouhaha blah blah blah! This is not to infer that I don't believe in maintaining high academic and behavior standards, I do. But no one in Harrisburg or Washington D.C. can tell me what those high standards look like in my classroom at this point in time but me.

Note: My high standards are followed up with the scaffolding and TLC necessary for every child to experience varying levels of success! When they dish out standards and mandates, it comes with the promise of punitive actions, not resources!

No comments:

Post a Comment