Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Interview

Interviewer: So, why do you think you'd make the best candidate for leading this school district?

Candidate: I believe I'd make the best candidate for leading this school district because I have a passion, skill set and knowledge to relentlessly pursue the academic success of every child. I care about the whole child and the communities from which they come. I was a teacher for---

Interviewer: Wait, you were a teacher?

Candidate: Yes

Interviewer: I'm incredibly sorry, but this is a school district. You'd be in charge of teachers and responsible for fixing an academically struggling district. You say you were a teacher? Next you'll be telling me that you were a principal and that you have degrees and certificates in education and in educational administration and taught for 15 years before you became principal. We're looking for someone more hedge-fund-y! Someone more lawyer-y! Someone more politic-y! You know?

Candidate: But?

Interviewer: Thanks for your time. We'll be getting back with you.

Candidate: O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment