Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, June 25, 2021

I kept a journal this past school year

2017
One year ago, today, I started a journal.

Old school.

Paper and pen. 

Dates. 

Times. 

Reflections. 

Journal.

The last time I recall keeping a paper/pencil journal, I was a student-teacher.

On June 24, 2020 I received a series of emails confirming that I would, in fact, be the School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL) for English at Martin Luther King High School. The next day, I started chronicling that journey because I wanted to capture what would never again be; my being a first-year SBTL in a global pandemic, amidst racial, social, and political unrest. 

My goal was to capture my feelings and reflections at particular moments in time, be they feelings about meetings, the class I taught, feel-goods or frustrations. Those moments in time were whenever I wanted. 

I won't dedicate this particular post to an exhaustive review of my pen-to-paper reflections, but there is one entry I'd like to focus on in particular.

Here's an excerpt from one of my lengthier musings in the wake of the murder of one of our students and of Walter Wallace.

10/28/20

On Monday I found out Hyneef Poles was killed. I cried. Then Monday(?) afternoon/evening Walter Wallace was shot and killed by police--here in Philly...

These two events were the backdrop of an email that I sent to the English department. It's also the backdrop of our "this week," including our CPT.

Today my colleagues and I just said whatever needed to be said. We were vulnerable. [Teacher] talked about how she teared up in class...[Teacher] talked about how her...class...allowed themselves to be vulnerable....

Today's CPT was needed...

I also emailed Dr. Hite this week and asked if any scheduled walk-throughs could be postponed. He actually replied--agreeing with me.

7:23pm

P.S. My handwriting is so sloppy--sheesh. I can definitely write better than this.



No comments:

Post a Comment