Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Setting the mood in the classroom

I've always believed that a classroom's ambience can make or break moods for the year, week, day, or class period. I believe in windows and fresh air and plants around the room. I believe in books, books, and more books* for students to enjoy--in class--no assignments attached--just because.

Throwback to the '19-'20 school year. Seems like a lifetime ago, I know. I had to resort to artificial plants because of the dynamics of the room. What I couldn't do with real plants, however, I made up for in the lighting and in music, all with input from the students.

Those overhead lights?
In September of that year one said, "Mr. Flemming, can you cut them lights off?"
From that point forward, those lights may have been on for a total of 20 times all year**.
They were replaced with a few lamps around the room and the natural light from the sun.

Music?
Imagine the YouTube clip below full screen on the SmartBoard as the students enter the room.
Then imagine running it back while we all worked.

The feedback from students and staff all but said we were on to something.
The mood was described as "calm", "peaceful" or "this makes me want to sleep"--code for "there's peace in this room." Most of the comments were unsolicited and often overheard.

How did I pivot the mood for remote instruction? Tbh, I didn't do it a lot. From time to time I would drop links that this into the chat then send the students out of class to come back in 10 or 15 minutes. I didn't do it every class session. Given the another opportunity, I know I'd do it more often.

What made me think of all of this at this moment in June, a week before school is done? I've been playing a lot of this mood music lately.
I've had to.
It's been quite the year.



*books = reading materials of all kinds, including menus, bus schedules, comics, magazines, etc
**year meaning September 2019 to March, 2020, of course 

No comments:

Post a Comment