Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, June 11, 2021

"Flem got that drip on!" A reflection on my rockin' academic regalia at their graduation

I'm struggling to find the words to capture the meaning of what I experienced today. The words may come as I briefly describe what transpired.

Today Martin Luther King High School held commencement exercises for the class of 2021. I was one of the faculty members assigned to assist the fellas. We gathered in the music wing of our school. They had their robes on and I came back to the area with my academic regalia.

I didn't think that high school brothas paid attention to things like a "doc's robe" nor did I expect the reception that I received.

"OKAY Flem!!"

"Flem got that drip on!"

"Ayooo, how can I get one of THEM!?"

"the lay tho!"

"I'm tryna rock one-a-them jawns"

"Yeahhh Doc!!"

One went so far as to "compliment" me by saying I resembled Lord Farquaad from Shrek. Bro. I def was not insulted as it was a little cheezy and corny, but I laughed. So did ALL his homies and even my colleagues. I threatened to forget his name when the time came in the ceremony. 😂😂😂

What I'm struggling to wrap my head around is what it all meant. I'm thinking as I'm typing and may (may not) edit this part out.

Clearly, my guys were feeling this older young brotha in his different type of robe. I did explain what it was all about and how I came to wear it. They still were feeling it and some even said they wouldn't mind working just to be adorned in one. I'll take that at this age and stage.😉

Why, though? Why did they take interest and what, if anything, does it mean? Admiration? I don't know. I'm a little self conscious about stuff like that. It seems a little self-glorifying. Because we have a very transient student body, many of them don't even know me as intimately as others. Some just know me from rehearsals this week and by my calling their names to come on stage as we practiced. Was this week just enough to get to know the man in this robe? I want to say no, but I think real knows real when it sees it and real is how I try to be and keep it. (insert a little allergy in the eyes)


Whether it was admiration or just the robe, it was abundantly clear, and unexpected for me, they liked what they saw and wanted parts.

Congratulations to the intelligent and beautiful young ladies and to the intelligent and handsome young men of the class of 2021 here at Martin Luther King High School. Love you for real!





No comments:

Post a Comment