Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ABC's World News and the Spelling Bee report

Just a moment ago, ABC's World News reported on a change in the national spelling bee that involves vocabulary and meanings as opposed to just simply spelling the words.

First, let it be known that the students in my inner-city public school in Philadelphia have been doing VOCABULARY Bees for a while now. We never just spell the words, but we define them, give examples, and apply them where necessary!

Secondly, the example that ABC gave was a multiple choice question that asked kids to identify an example of onomatopoeia, with choices A-D, D being "buzz". George Stephanopolous commented that if you didn't "get that, you should hit the books."

Let it be known, that the 6th grade students at John B. Kelly Elementary School would have gotten that question correct. We are an inner city public school in Philadelphia.

I reiterate this because we always seem to get a bad rap as public schools and any chance I get to allow my students to shine in a positive light, I'll take advantage of it!

#JBKelly

No comments:

Post a Comment