Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Retired Rabble-rouser

I just ran into a retired school police officer.
"Are you a teacher," he asks
"Yes, how do you know?"
"I saw the emblem."
I forgot I was wearing my PFT button.
He says, "It's an injustice what they're doing to our children. They are going back to the pre-1954 days, separate but equal with this charter school here and that charter school there. I'm about to rabble-rouse"

He continued to tell of some of the injustices he saw while working as a delivery driver for the School District of Philadelphia back in the 70s. He told of how while making deliveries in certain neighborhoods, an entire truck delivery would be for one school. When he would do his afternoon run, the same amount of supplies would be spread among six schools in other neighborhoods.

He spoke of a substitute teacher friend of his would be a sub in some buildings that had everything and get to other schools subbing for the same grade and they had nothing worth using.

Mr. Meadows and I ended the short conversation with him encouraging me to "Keep up the fight!" I said, "Yes sir!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment