Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Ya'MeAn

First, it's just something you say and not really spell, ya'mean*?

I overheard less than 15 seconds of a conversation a neighbor was having on the phone as he was going about his daily walk and as I was unloading the whip.

"Ya'mean. It's just my favorite word."
"I don't know, it's probably the music we listened to, ya'mean" (The real question is, do I insert a "?" or an "!" at the end of that...*inserts thinking emoji*)

Language. I love it! I suppose that's why as a kid through adulthood and into teaching I was enamored by words, their denotations and connotations. Throw in intonation, context, code-switching abilities, multilingualism (d'accord?), the person (a brotha or sista can use certain words around me that those outside of our cultural community cannot), and myriad other languagisms (let me be great for a sec lol) and oh the beauty of language!

Back to the "?" or "!"
Based on his intonation, the sentence could be written, "I don't know, it's probably the music we listened to, ya'mean!"

Speaking of language and code-switching
Any Sanford and Son dvd owner (I have every season) or marathon-watcher might notice Smitty 'translating' quite a bit. Like in this scene...


On Family Feud
Notice sometimes when Black families give an answer on the show that sometimes Steve provides a King's English synonym for the word. I searched far and wide for a snippet to post here, but the internet is too vast, sometimes. Recently a contestant used the word whip. Steve had to let the producers know it means car. *Inserts an "lol" gif here*

In Dunkin' Donuts


*Do you know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment