Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, May 25, 2020

Dear Grandpa Carlton, Uncle Arthur, Uncle Jerry, and Cousin Dave


Dear Grandpa Carlton, (Great) Uncle Arthur, (Great) Uncle Jerry, and Cousin Dave,


Grandpop, you knew me. Every now and then I mention you when reflecting on the Philly teachers in our family. Uncle Arthur, we met way back when my family drove from Philly to Appomattox to retrieve that green car you gave us. Remember? I’m not sure if you knew, but I was 16 and that was my first road trip, driving back up from your house. Cousin Dave, I think we met at your sister’s funeral several years back. Grandpop, I learned today that you, Uncle Arthur, and Cousin Dave served in the U.S. armed forces and even fought in the Korean War. Salute! Uncle Jerry, we never met, but you were a U.S. Merchant Marine? I had to look that up what that meant. Nice! For as much as I love learning about history, I never thought to follow up on who in our family might have fought or served in America’s wars. I know on my dad’s side there are veterans including my pops himself, but I hadn’t considered mom’s side of the family.


I just want to say thank you for your service to this country, older sirs! I can only imagine what it must’ve been like risking it all to serve your country while also being considered third class citizens back home. Grandpop, Uncle Arthur, and Uncle Jerry, you’ve since passed on, but I hope that we can do some small part to keep the memory of your service alive. Cousin Dave, thank you! I hope that your service to this country is reaping all the expressions of gratitude and accolades it deserves, from sea to shining sea!

 

Sincerely,

Your grandson, great-nephew, and second cousin,

Steve (Steve and Jackie’s oldest)

 

P.S. I know three of you weren’t here to see it, but we did experience our first Black Commander-in-Chief. He was the 44th President of these United States, Barack Obama. We’re far from the struggle being over, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment