Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Winning With An Older Kid

There's a lot that can be said of my being the only black male teacher in our school. I am certainly not the only positive black male influence in our school. I could say more, but for now the purpose of this post...

For any number of reasons, there is a kid, from another grade who many thought would be a perfect match for the style and structure that yours truly has to offer. Firm yet fun. No nonsense, still yet full of all kinds of ebullient antics that make for a great learning experience. A person who looks like him who is a teacher and may be a uniquely qualified to be a mentor.

What I quickly discovered were his artistic abilities and his innate proclivity for organizing "stuff". Note: I'm one of "those" teachers with the messy desk and work area. I try. {sigh} Seeing that, he went to work organizing stacks in one of many of my work areas. Nicely done!

Two things really struck a chord.
1.  One was his reading of an assigned book by his ELA teacher of record. In the corridors, reading. On his way to lunch, reading. In my room, reading. YES!!!! #Winning

2.  Recently my class and I started a read-aloud experiential series, #207ReadsAloud. He asked, "Mr. Flemming, I can read to ya kids?"
WHOA!!!!! YES!!! #Winning

All will be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment