Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Mastery is to Spoiled Brat...

Mastery Charter Schools was finally told "NO" this past week and their reaction is like that of a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum in the supermarket!!

BACK IN THE FALL (wow), Dr. Hite proposed that three schools be converted to charter schools beginning next school year.

This past week, after push back from parents and others who believe and know that real public schools can succeed if truly invested in, the Wister Elementary decision was reversed.


Mastery has about 17 schools in Philadelphia.



You have to wonder why they are reacting the way they are because the district finally said NO!!

Many district schools have been told "NO" for years on music and art teachers, clean and welcoming buildings, reduced class sizes, nurses, updated technology, financial and human resources, shall I keep going?

What needs to happen now, in my opinion:
Huey Public Community School
Cook Public Community School

Philly has done the charter thing, to our financial detriment. Let's try the community schools "thing". Let's try making our neighborhood schools even stronger anchors in our communities that they can be!!

With Mayor Kenney and Governor Wolf, I am a little more hopeful!! I'll be even more hopeful once my kids and I experience the results, of the "resource" variety, stream into our schools instead of being cut off at the knees and being criticized for not winning the marathon!


No comments:

Post a Comment