Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

"Pedagogilese"

So, I think I'm making up a word in pedagogilese, (ped-a-gog-a-lese) (sad, I know) to mean terms of or related to pedagogy (pedagogy meaning the practice of teaching and its theoretical framework).

Blah, blah, blah

I'm making up the word in order to emphasize how much I despise being told to frame lesson objectives on board space using pedagogilese. Acronyms and "teacher-words" mean nothing to the student. And it is my belief that ANYTHING that I put on a chalkboard, whiteboard, overhead, etc. is for the benefit of the student!

Using pedagogilese on a chalkboard in no way benefits students!

As a high school student, quite familiar with teaching, and as a pre-service teacher, I didn't even believe in putting objectives on the board, period. I saw no point. I've come around to doing it, even though I still don't consider it one of the ten necessary commandments of teaching and learning.

But *if* I'm going to put an objective on the board, it will be in the first person and it will kid-friendly language, student-lese, if you please!


No comments:

Post a Comment