Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode...

For those who watched the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when it was running, I'm sure you remember season one and the episode where Carlton and Will drove Uncle Phil's law partner's fancy shmancy car to the retreat area and were stopped by a cop along the way.

Episodes like this and others that I've been watching while relaxing remind me that we never had a funeral for racism, this because, it never died!

Even then, those episodes shot in the early 90s, reflect the issues of that day and of this day.

In that episode Carlton believed that the police were "just doing their jobs" and that the system "works". Will took exception to this, and rightfully so. He continued to show Carl that he would see a lot more of that system and that money and connections won't be able to save him from it.

Boy are we still seeing that today!!

What I choose to not worry about is how others perceive me! I choose not to live my life like that! I choose to continue to educate myself and walk the streets with the belief that I can and will do anything I set my mind to do. If and when I and others encounter racism, I'll act accordingly. Marching, rallying, emailing, calling, tweeting, blogging, talking, public speaking, and VOTING, I will do what I can, when I can!

What I won't be, is bound by the provincial, elitist, and racist thoughts of others! I'm not going to live my life thinking about what I think I can or cannot do because of the color of the skin that covers this black male soul! That's bondage and I'll have no parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment