Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I thought you'd be principal...

Just a few moments ago I came back from making a stop in an old neighborhood. I went to support a local businessman and the neighborhood that I once called my second home.

OK! Enough with the fancy shmancy, I went to a corner store down 'round de way to get me one of Baha's dope Kaiser roll turkey samich jawns! Ya dig? lol

As we briefly conversed and and inquired about the welfare of our respective families, I remarked on the closing a one of the private schools in the neighborhood. His comment to me was, "I thought you'd be the principal over there."

Truthfully, the prospect of such a venture was at one point a thought of mine. I thought to rub shoulders and politic my way into such a position but decided against it.

But, on this final day of 2014, I will note this. One day I do plan on becoming a building principal, one who has withstood the test of time as an ardent advocate for students and teachers in public schools. One who has been tried and proven true to the ideals of what it means to be a real classroom teacher in a real public school and not just for the few trifling years it takes to become a principal. One who is an instructional leader indeed. One who is not a jelly-back, spineless, and anemic when it comes to pushing, fighting, and relentlessly pursuing what is necessary to promote a culture of teaching and learning, to manage an effective operation, and to bring out the best in each and every faculty and staff member. One who will encourage teachers and school personnel to advocate, publish, teach in post-secondary institutions, build and maintain strong community bonds, write for grants, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, leave Philadelphia you say? I live in a dream world?

Maybe.

But hypothetically, if and when I do decide to lead a building in Philadelphia, if whomever I work for is not for children, teachers, parents, community, and the improvement of our public schools, I may just make their life a living nightmare! Mark. my. words. Hypothetically speaking of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment