Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

My student teaching experience

Driving this evening I passed the school in West/Southwest Philly where I did my student teaching. The school is not too far from the Checkers on Baltimore Av. I student taught in a third grade classroom and had the WORST experience!

The children weren't the problem. I'll leave that there! My vocal opposition to "bafoonery" didn't just begin! I had quite a few opinions then too! Looooong story short, I ended up getting thrown out of the school just before my final observation! My local, huge university on Broad street called me and informed me that things like graduation were now on the line! Me not happy!

Fortunately Cook-Wissahickon allowed me to come teach a final lesson for observation purposes!

As I reflect on that awful experience, I began to think of a few questions for my colleagues!

Do you say "Good Morning" to your students?
Do you ask your students about their weekend?
How often to you inquire about their pets, out-of-school activities, their family?
Do you give them hand shakes, pounds, high-fives?
Do you have them show you the latest dances?
Do you start each day yelling?
Do you wonder why she sleeps in your class everyday or do you just judge?
Do you walk around their neighborhood, perhaps to the corner store?
Just a few questions for my colleagues....

That student teaching semester was......interesting!
Two of my student-teaching headaches retired and we're all the better for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment