Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Balance...

Recently, I made the intentional reconnection with a thought that I had some time ago, balance. Reading tweets, blogs, news articles, etc. RE: public education in the United States today and the defensive stance that we as public school teachers are forced to assume can be unnerving at times. Many times WE, as public school teachers tend to focus on the negative of the whole situation. Our opponents do as well.

So with all the negativity, who is going to focus on the GOOD that is happening each day in our public school classrooms? Who is going to tell the positive "goings-on" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/goings-on)?

With that, I propose we strike a balance. Yes, the situation is bad! Yes, we must tweet, blog, email, write letters, lift our voices, stand in solidarity, etc. At the same token, let's inform the public that John has improved three reading levels, even if he state tests don't reflect that fact.  Let's tell the story of Jane, who transferred in rather rough around the edges and is now speaking politely, is studying harder now more than ever and is even tutoring. Don't forget about Bob, who at twelve years of age cares for his younger siblings and still manages to make the honor roll each report card period. While the characters are fictitious, the situations are real!

Keep advocating for our children, absolutely! I will, that's for sure. But I will tell their powerful stories as well! #Balance

No comments:

Post a Comment