Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Barbershop Convo

So today, while in the barbershop, I had a small conversation with a person I had never met prior to today. From his conversation with the other barbers, he seems to be an entrepreneur of a small restaurant here in the city.

Here's how the conversation went as I made my way to the barber's chair:

Barber (to me): The TEACHER!!! Ready to go back Mr. Teacher?

Me: Yes I am actually!

Barber: They gettin' rid of gym this year?

Me: Who knows, with everything going on!

Man: What school do you teach at?

Me: John B. Kelly, right up the street

Man: Oh yea, Kelly! What do you think about all of these charter schools popping up taking money away?

Me: Sir, that's my soap box!

Man: I can tell!

You can imagine how the conversation continued from that point! It is important to note that this businessman is not in favor of schools popping up that are draining our true public schools of money and resources. He made that clear!

Needless to say, I made a new friend today! A non-teacher who also doesn't like what's going on in this city!!

No comments:

Post a Comment