Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Principal's Convocation Experience...

Today I had the opportunity to be among a group a teachers selected by their Principal's to be a part of the School District of Philadelphia's Annual Principal's Convocation. Today was the first day of the annual week long convocation and I had the opportunity to be among great educators both in the classroom capacity and in educational leadership roles. Principals, Vice Principals, and teachers descended upon the new Lincoln High School in the Northeast for workshops and other break-out sessions.

The session began with a wonderful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner by a student from Meredith Elementary School. Super super kudos to that young man! This was followed by a speech by the School District Superintendent herself, Dr. Arlene Ackerman.

While I did get the opportunity to meet up with administrators and others I know throughout the district, what I liked most, though very vain was being able to update my facebook status with lines like "preparing for the Principal's conference" and "at the Principal's Convocation." Is this vain and silly, absolutely!

I am presently a classroom teacher, but I have spent several years as the Director of Youth Programming and Development with a local YMCA. So I know what it means to run a non-profit; what it means to put together a budget; what it means to supervise teachers of early childhood and other youth programs, grant writing, community partnering, paying company bills, etc. etc. etc. Sounds a bit like a principal does it not?

I am an aspiring principal and educational leader. The one thing that Dr. Ackerman said that stands out in my mind came when she introduced a new Associate Superintendent. As she introduced Ms. Penny Nixon, the entire auditorium gave her a thunderous applause. Dr. Ackerman's comment spoke to the fact that the only way she (Ackerman) would receive an applause like that would be if she grew up in Philadelphia, taught in Philadelphia, was a principal in Philadelphia and now in the position that she is in. With that comment came an even heartier applause for Ms. Nixon.

Dr. Ackerman went on to say that thinking was the Philadelphia way. AND SHE IS CORRECT! I have always held to that opinion and even blogged about it previously! That is my lot. I have grown up in this city. I love this city. I love teaching. I love youth. I love the idea that the sun rises and sets on leadership, good or bad.

I look forward to blogging about the steps that I will take and have taken to ultimately become one of Philadelphia's best and foremost educational leaders!

No comments:

Post a Comment