Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

"Outstanding" Teachers

My mind briefly goes back to my undergraduate studies at Temple University. While matriculating there, I had a professor of Social Studies Education, Professor Ruby Peters. Known for her elaborate style of dress and those (in)famous 5X8 cards, she challenged us as pre-service teachers. Her challenge to us, "be an outstanding teacher." Her challenge to us was to not be ordinary, but extraordinary; not to be regular but irregular and not with the negative connotation one would assume.

My mind also goes back to my years at Bodine High School for International Affairs in Northern Liberties.  Particularly to another Social Studies teacher, Mr. Young. Known for his lecture approach to teaching and college professor-like dress every day, he too, believed in rising above the norm. One thing that drives my teaching today is something he said to us as freshmen in his World History class in room 205 at Bodine. He told us that there were white people in the suburbs that believed we (primarily urban blacks) "couldn't" learn, not that we were lazy and didn't want to, but that we didn't have the ability. Mr. Young wanted us to rise up and prove them wrong.

Teachers like Professor Peters, Mr. Young and countless others that I could name have encouraged me to become an outstanding educator. One who teaches with passion, with skill, with "finesse" so to speak; developing and executing lessons rooted in sound pedagogical principles that not only teach the concept but that teach the  students to think, to apply, to appreciate, to teach others, to become well informed, knowledgeable and contributing citizens.

So, Professor Peters, Mr. Young, Mrs. Wynn (kinder), Mrs. Patterson (1st - deceased), Mrs. Bolden (2nd), Mrs. Ross (3rd), Mrs. Wood (4th), Mrs. Woodlin, Mr. Molowitz (deceased), Ms. Ton, Mrs. Owens (counselor, high school), Mrs. Thompson (counselor, elementary) and the countless others teachers, counselors, and administrators throughout Middle School, High School, and college...thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment