Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, December 7, 2015

Read A Story!

In an age when all knowing principals and district administrators (some of whom taught for all of two years---maybe---as Teach for America alumni) are directing teaching not to read aloud to children, what I did earlier today demonstrates why I may or may not listen to what said admins have to say!

We were preparing for a walking trip to a local historical site. Because of a little miscommunication, we waited in the school library for quite some time. After a while (and after being told nicely to vacate a particular space), I directed children to another carpeted area and picked up a random book I hadn't read nor heard of before today. As, they were chatting among themselves, I started to read the title at a decibel slightly above their tones.  Magic!!!

My heart skipped a beat at the excitement on their faces and in what they said as they gathered around me without being told and as if on que, got very excited, all at once! Their teacher was reading a book to them. Nothing new, but it was happening.....again, and this time in the library, away from the classroom, and as we were waiting to go on the trip.

The books pages were tattered and yellow. The book was coming apart. And I think on some subliminal level, that added to the excitement!!

The book, One Fine Day by Nonny Hogrogian


It was great! I hadn't read it, so the kids and I all formed opinions, made predictions, checked predictions....aloud! It was actually a great story!!!

The experience of teaching and learning cannot be relegated to the four walls of a classroom or to some fictional "gradual release block", it has to be real, meaningful, and sometimes unintentional!

No comments:

Post a Comment