Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, October 16, 2015

They're sharp!!! A Junior Entomologist scenario in 207!

After checking for bed bugs, setting up for an art project we're going to do and removing a mouse caught on a trap for a college, I got to thinking about one of "those" great teacher/student moments yesterday.

In science my kids and I really engage in an in-depth unit on entomology as a part of a larger unit on biology/life science. Yesterday's research dealt with bed bugs, which is really a disgusting life experience right now for us here....but I digress.

We visited and analyzed Perdue University's website and diagram of a bed bug's life cycle. I asked a "deep" question about the life cycle that Perdue put up and asked them to analyze it based on what we knew (so far) about complete/incomplete metamorphosis. When I tell you that a kid was SPOT ON about our questioning of what we saw before us, he was SPOT ON!!!!!!

We may not be right, but that's science. It's about questioning, researching and doing more questioning. I was so proud!!!! We call ourselves Junior Entomologists, and I think we are doing a fine job, if I do say so myself!!

Now, go data that! Go analyze that! Go aggregate that!

No comments:

Post a Comment