Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Take Pride in Your Work!

As a teacher, I take a great deal of pride in my work! I love teaching and I love learning! Working with with youth of all ages is what I do, from former students to current students and even kids and youth I've not had the privilege of teaching directly. I like showing them off to their parents, the community, twitter, etc! They're intelligent and possess a potential that WILL be realized!!!

I wish similar passion translated to those who maintain the cleanliness of some of our buildings! My parents raised us to do our work and with pride (and to do it right the first time). Mom always said, "haste makes waste". Meaning, we'd have to redo it if we thought rushing would get it done and correctly. Ooops! Now we really couldn't play outside because we had to mop that floor again, clean the base of that toilet again (hands and knees), get that grime out of the bathtub/shower...

Every students, parent, teacher, and guest deserves to come into clean and well maintained buildings. I understand the reasons (or excuses) for the filth are as abundant as the species of insects and creatures we see in our buildings! Some are political, some speak to the layoffs and lack of resources. I get it. But politics has nothing to do with piles of dust and trash in the hallway. Steps not swept? Trash not taken out? The same dirty spots on the floor that a mop can get up? I've gotten on hands and knees to clean my floor and am not above doing it if it means that my kids come into a clean classroom. But, someone is getting paid. Someone has been charged with the responsibility.

All have pitched in and helped out for the sake of our work space and for the kids.
But if we don't do it, it doesn't get done? Nah!

Take pride in your work!

(I know this might rub some the wrong way, but it's the truth. In the words of someone I know, build a bridge and get over it. Take pride!)

A closed mouth doesn't get fed! We must speak up!
I could talk bed bugs...but I'll chill....for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment