Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Teacher Appreciation?

Rumor has it that it's teacher appreciation week. Funny thing, those rumors! The School Reform Commission and our superintendent, Dr. Hite recently released what the budget will look like for the 2014-2015 school year. I believe "empty shell" was the term used.

41, students per class (at least), layoff nearly 1,000 teachers and the teachers who remain take a pay cut of up to 13%. Let's not forget PVAAS, which now will hold us more responsible for factors beyond our control. This, amid even more draconian cuts to personnel, which translates to cuts in essential services!

Appreciation? Sure, I really do feel the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment