Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Support from an Unexpected Source

I recently attended a church service where public schools in Camden received what I perceived was an unexpected statement of support. As the preacher was preaching, he bemoaned the layoffs of hundreds of Camden public school personnel including teachers. He denounced charter school infiltration into Camden and said that many people think that charters are the way to go. He also came against New Jersey's governor!

Wow!!!

I say it was an unexpected statement of support because during the church services I attend, it's a common held belief that politics has no room in the pulpit. I grew up in church and the pulpit has never been a place for politics. It wasn't something that was said often. It didn't have to be said, it just is. The pulpit is for the preached word of God.

We often go to other churches all along the east coast and we all believe the same thing. However, I must admit, it was a bit reassuring to hear this preacher who I've known for years, just go IN on what's going on in Camden! This wasn't the meat of his message, it was a sidebar. Some heads did turn my way, since many know my stance on the issue!

When I hear people starting to speak up who don't normally speak up, something's-a-brewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment