Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Re: The Suburban Station Violinist



In an earlier blog post, I ranted and raved about this kid who I have seen for a couple of years now playing, very skillfully, his violin on the concourse of Suburban Station.

Since SEPTA is my primary form of transportation ( I have a car but with all this teacher money I make, I cannot afford to fix my baby up...story for another day) I frequently happen upon many "writeable" events. Riding the 13 trolley, moments ago, through Southwest Philly Mr. Violinist himself, Sean Bennett, boarded with a female companion.

I looked around the trolley to see if any of the other passengers' faces revealed that they knew who this young man was. No revelatory faces. With that, I really wanted become a "writeable" moment myself and stand to give this young man his props before the entire trolley, but decided against it. Instead I resolved to give him what we call in church, a Holy Ghost handshake (dropping a few dollars in his hand then walking away).

Why am I hype? As I stated before, he is a young, black male with a gift! If we were to undergo a psychological exercise and I were to say, "black teenage boy", what would immediately come to mind? Pants saggin', snap back wearin thug? Criminal? Jail? No good? Waste? SMH? Sean, among many other young black males, who aren't the "top story" on the 5pm newscasts, create the contrasting and alternative images that we all need to have of the black male.

As a teacher, I see my students for what they will become! Sean is like one of my students and I am excited for his future!! Sean could very well have been my student a few years back.

I really want him to get his own special report on one of the local networks. Searching the internet, I did find this philly.com article. Click, read, and enjoy:
http://articles.philly.com/2011-02-01/news/27092982_1_young-musicians-tina-davidson-rehearsal

There are many Seans out there! Some sit in our classrooms and many are pants-saggin, snap-back wearin thugs who have been to jail! They're just waiting for someone to tap into their untapped potential, waiting for that metaphoric "Holy Ghost" handshake!!

1 comment: