Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Young, black, male, and plays classical!!

Anyone who frequents SEPTA's Suburban Station in downtown Philadelphia would undoubtedly happen upon a young man who plays his violin with such skill and finesse, that you could easily miss your train listening to him go!!

There are many performers stationed throughout SEPTA's underground market place and main regional rail train station which spans several city blocks, but this kid takes the cake!
I briefly engaged him in a short conversation once in between performances. He goes to the High School for Creative and Performing Arts (CAPA) in South Philly. Note: CAPA is a PUBLIC high school!!!!

Though he goes to CAPA, he doesn't necessarily attribute his love of classical music and violin playing to CAPA. The environment, however, nurtures and promotes arts love with majors such as: Creative Writing, Instrumental Music, Visual Arts, Theater, Dance, and Vocal Music.

When I asked him what his gaols were, where he sees himself in the future, he responded that he definitely saw himself with a career in classical music.
Every single opportunity I get, including the one I had this past weekend, I drop a few dollars in the violin case that he has out.

There are times when he is accompanied by other youth who are also skillful with their instruments. But he is the constant.

What I really like is that this is an alternative image that hundreds, if not thousands, are getting of a young black male. His presence at Suburban Station is strategic! White collars pass through the station in droves and hear him play!! His pants don't sag, he doesn't wear a snap back and he is well spoken. The inverse of the aforementioned have their place somewhere, but the image that he portrays, gives many a reason to pause and reassess the first thing that comes to mind when "young black male" is mentioned!

I forget his name, unfortunately, but I'm sure a google or youtube search would assist with that. If I see it, it'll strike a "chord" and I'll post a follow-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment