Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

"Let the Circle Be Unbroken" really mirrors today...

As I stated in a previous blog post, the content of Mildred Taylor's, Let the Circle Be Unbroken is very relevant today. In chapter eleven, a group of black young people were gathered on their school grounds. One of the racist white landowners' sons approaches a young black male, who was helping the organization efforts. He questioned him about his involvement.  Dube, who stutters and was very nervous, was too nervous to talk. He only nodded or shook his head. Here's more of what happened:

"You telling me the truth, boy?"
Dube nodded.
Stuart stared at Dube; Dube stared at the ground. "You hear from him or any other of them union men, I wanna know 'bout it. You hear me boy?"
Dube nodded, not looking up.
"That go the same for all of y'all. There ain't gonna be non union down in here, so y"ll tell that to your folks. No union!"

No comments:

Post a Comment