Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, July 6, 2013

What to do with "all this money"???

Of course that is a rhetorical question, since I'm a teacher and comparitively speaking, we don't have "all this money"!

The School District of Philadelphia and the state of Pennsylvania want to cut teacher salaries by up to 13% to save money.

In a recent interview with the Huffington Post, Arne Duncan stated that the students didn't create this problem. Hey, Mr. Duncan, neither did the teachers!

If they want to cut 13% of our salary, then everything else needs to be reduced by that same percentage: class size, work load, case load, charter schools, rent, mortgage, phone bill, tuition, electric, gas, water, car note, insurance, classroom supply costs out of pocket, food/clothes prices, SEPTA fares (oh wait, they just went up), contributions to poitical campaigns (ha!), salaries in City Hall, Harrisburg, and DC, the defense budget, shall I continue?

No comments:

Post a Comment