Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Angry bird? Grumpy cat? No! TICKED TEACHER!!!

Just recently the School District of Philadelphia had to borrow a few million just to make ends meet. I hear on KYW News Radio 1060 this morning, a report that more than 20 charter school applications are expected to be filed by a mid-November deadline! WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD APPLY TO OPEN UP A CHARTER NOW???????

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the mindset of this movement in Philadelphia!! WITH WHAT MONEY??????

I abhor the charter movement in this town! There is no way you can convince me, especially after this latest idiocy, that any of this is about the kids. They are a pawn and I HATE that! School choice my foot! Politics, power, money, influence, cheap educator labor, turning neighborhoods on their heads, anti-union, favors, nepotism, mine are bigger than yours, all you need is a pulse to teach, systematically dismantle (not fix) the public education system, THIS is what it's all about!!!! Not KIDS!!!!

I'm still adjusting to teaching younger students, but every time I hear of bafoonery like this, I get a renewed sense of purpose and urgency to march my 6-foot, 220 pound dark self into my classroom and create teaching and learning experiences that are out of this world!!!!! Public schools can and do work!! We're not perfect, but as a product of this system and parents who would have nothing less, public schools work!! We have to keep working at it!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment