Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, October 29, 2015

"I did science Mr. Flemming!!"

I mix some traditional teaching methods with some new teaching methods. With that, I give homework. Yes I do. And get this, I expect it to be done. Yup! Six students completed the assignments as expected. Six? Happened to be all boys. OK, pizza, wings, soda. Today. At lunch. For those who did it. I'll come for you when it comes. We enjoyed. That's the background...

What made me smile on my insides is their unscripted application of the scientific terms and processes which we've discussed and experienced in 207.

"I wonder what will happen if I mix the Pepsi and the orange," says one boy. "Ooooo! Mr. Flemming, I did science!!" This, as he showed me his Pepsi/Orange concoction.

"You made an observation. You used your senses," says another boy. "You used...{and he named the senses used..."

"Did you make a prediction ahead of time," interjects the teacher.

"Yes, I predicted....{I forget}...and it happened," says the original boy.

Unscripted. Real. And no SWBAT/IOT. No gradual release obsessions. No segmented, regimented, time constraints for a "Gradual Release Block." (Don't ask) Just learning at lunch, experientially, and unintentionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment