Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, May 16, 2015

THEY SHOWED OFF at Grumblethorpe!!!!!

Yesterday, my students and I hiked ourselves over to Grumblethorpe here in Germantown, a 10-15 minute walk from our school. I had never been, but for years other classes at John B. Kelly School have and continue to make their way over there and engage in hands-on lessons and experiences of historical, geographical, and horticultural significance.



THEY SHOWED OFF!!!
(in a good way)

Just as they did in our "classroom without borders" at City Hall, they demonstrated the power of the effects of real teaching and learning!

The first few minutes of the experience at Grumblethorpe served to build or establish schema, with a discussion on history and geography. When asked to identify the seven continents of the world, they did it without missing a beat!!

What's the big deal Mr. Flemming?

The reply from the staff at Grumblethorpe, "WOW!!! I really wasn't expecting that!! This is the first public school group, and we've had many, that was able to do that!! I actually think I need to take a second and just stand in awe! I expected to be here for several minutes!"

No, I was not offended in the least bit! I was proud! Proud of my students for showing off as I secretly patted myself on the back for holding my ground as a teacher and belief that test prepping is not teaching and that in my homeroom, English/Language Arts, Math, SCIENCE and SOCIAL STUDIES are all important (and the media by which I sometimes employ to teach them---music, art, kinesthetics, and more).

Their response to the intelligence of my students was matched with a statement from one of my notorious "outburst-ers".  His comment, "THAT'S A SHAME!!!" (That of all of the public school groups they've hosted and for sometime, that we were the first group who could do that with no trouble, in concert, and without skipping a beat.)

My students continued to show off as they continued to demonstrate what they knew during a Q&A about various historical events!

As the morning progressed, the groups were split in two and they got an opportunity to plant pumpkins in the yard and basil in cups. As they dug spaces to plant the sprouting pumpkin plants, they found grubs and worms and their excitement couldn't be contained (not that any attempts were made either).



Meanwhile the other group continued to impress our hosts as they recalled facts about what plants need to grow, including air? No!! (sort of lol) but "carbon dioxide".  Love it!!

After about an hour and a half, we made our way back to school, they had lunch, and afterwards I praised the mess out of them for being so intelligent and encouraged them, as I often do, to never stop loving to learn! With one student in particular, I told him that people may call him names, that it had happened to me, but to let it roll off like water on a duck's back. Being interested in and loving history and science is NOTHING for which to be ashamed.

No, no SWBAT discussions. I think I've made my positions clear in other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment