Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A "Primary Election Day" convo on KYW...

Traveling home from a rally in Chestnut Hill, listening to KYW News Radio's election day coverage, the conversation between Larry Kane and Terry Madonna---why such a low turnout? (~28% or so I think---for what in actuality will likely be for the next Mayor of Philadelphia since registered Dems outnumber registered Repubs in Philly 8:1)

One of the possible reasons for very low voter turn out during this particular election they discussed was the absence of a big "thing" and single big "issue". They said that for the most part, the candidates all generally agreed on the broad issues du jour.

They said that education seemed to be the biggest issue, but that such issues are up to the state and school officials to handle anyway, so candidates for Mayor and City Council running on those issues is for all intents and purposes, fruitless. (Their commentary, my emphasis)

One, I'm a voter and tax payer and in the grand scheme of things, I may not be able to do much, but that doesn't stop me from speaking up and speaking out on behalf of my students, colleagues, and the community at large. Neither has it nor should it stop a candidate for elected office. So I understand  their point, but I want to refocus the narrative a bit. I digress...

My real reaction comes in response to the possibility that voter turn out was low this time because "education is the only big issue there is" (emphasis mine).

One, I hope that the education platform is NOT the reason why voter turn out was so low this time.
Actually, I don't want there to EVER be a reason for voter turn out being low, but I digress.

Two, if it is the reason, then shame on us Philadelphians for not seeing such an issue as big enough to make a statement on!

If education in Philadelphia is the big ticket item of the past several months (and I believe that it is), the improvement of a system ought to be the TOP priority of all of us!!

And as I finish up this post, the tweets are coming in, the Associated Press is calling it! Jim Kenney winning the Primary Battle, the mayoral candidate endorsed by the TEACHERS of Philadelphia!!


No comments:

Post a Comment