Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

What can we expect from a Biden Department of Education?

I don't know. That's the tweet...I mean *post.

No, seriously, the times are different, as we all know and are reminded of daily. Because of the times, teaching and learning requires different--whatever that may look like. In Philly, it could mean nixing the STAR tests and CRQs (district-mandated constructed response questions). At the national level, it could start with a moratorium on national standardized tests and encouraging governments at the state level to do the same with their tests. It could continue with historical investments in schools' infrastructure. It could be enhanced with a national recognition of Black Lives Matter at School Week of Action, forgiving teachers' student loans, and so much more.

Ambitious? Maybe. Perhaps not as ambitious as having Dr. Leslie Fenwick as the Secretary, but I digress. Even if it is ambitious, so what? Our children don't deserve historical investments and an ambitious agenda?

From what I can tell so far, ambition doesn't seem to be the reason why President Biden selected these two individuals to lead the department. They appear to be the safe choice, even though the local NAACP has something to say about Cindy Marten.

We'll see. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment