Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Spirituality of it All


This past weekend, Juneteenth weekend 2020, was a whole mood! Yes sir, yes ma'am! I was driving at some point this weekend and thought to myself, "There is such an air of celebration! Of freedom!"

The marches!
The determination!
The shift in the winds!

Black pride!
Black dollars!
Black businesses!

Freedom!

While there is still so much more work to do, I think my and others' sense of purpose has been renewed! It's like a revival of sorts! 

Hope revived!
Energy revived!
Purpose revived!

Allow me to take a moment to connect it with another space I occupy. I saw a tweet referencing an opinion piece that notes the movement for Black lives has always been spiritual. I thought about that sentiment and its truth. But I also thought about my own journey. There are experiences we have in church that bring high energy just like when we're out there in the streets, marching and demonstrating for that which is just!


I thought about the freedom I experienced and continue to experience in Christ! I thought about the day that I decided I wanted something different; the day that I decided to turn from my way to His. Such a reflection, almost always brings high energy, thankfulness, and rejoicing! Just as we bathe to wash ourselves of the sweat, dirt, and dead skin of the day gone by and wake up every morning and set our mind to embrace the day ahead,  I chose to obey the instructions given in the book of Acts (New Testament) chapter 2 and verse 38; doing something about the day gone by and embracing the power of God for the day ahead. Rehearse that verse. That was several years ago and I'm not sorry at all! I'm telling you what I know!

But this journey isn't about doing something once and that's it. Imagine only one march. One email. One tweet. One speech. One and done. What would ever get accomplished in this movement?

So, I choose to pray and get something out of the Bible daily. I choose to rejoice...and again I say rejoice! I choose to celebrate the freedom I have in God!


Just as with the Black Lives Matter Movement and that renewed energy and hope I experienced, I feel the same for my spiritual walk. There's more work to do. I pray God continues to give me the wisdom and words to go about that work! In Jesus name!

And the let church say...
Amen!

Today isn't lost on me! 
Happy Fathers Day to my dad Pop Flem, and to the dads and father figures all over the world! You matter! Black fathers matter!




No comments:

Post a Comment