Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The 207 Literary Revival

{Que to church organist backing up the preacher...}

There are joys and challenges, my brothers and sisters, of teaching and learning in Philadelphia!!
Can I get a witness?!?

No, seriously, I prefer to blog and tweet about many of the joys of teaching and learning with my 3rd graders even though there are many many challenges that are inherent with working in an urban area like my Philly hometown.

Our reading program in 207 was....ok. There was/is learning and reading enjoyment, but as a teacher I was a little dissatisfied. Perhaps it's the drive in me to always try something different, to always make improvements, to make bad good, good better, and better the best it can be. Never satisfied. Always trying.

Well, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume and no traditional homework assignments in February sparked a little literary revival.

Initially, the no homework thing was a risk. I was questioned, and I welcomed the questions. I actually appreciated the questions because I was able to gauge, somewhat, who really pays attention to the goings-on in class. There were several reasons why I chose to make that snap decision for February. Rising from rubble of that risk, however, was 1--a great experience in Ecology and 2--this literary revival.

The "homework" throughout the month involved reading particular chapters in Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and coming prepared to discuss what we read the previous night. Even without the traditional homework assignments, many weren't even doing the reading. I'd go all "Flem" in class (and I'll leave that there) and decide to converse with those who did read. Any student who's ever had me knows that literary discussions in 105....ooops....207 are more than just about the plot. During the discussions a range of emotions are showcased by us all.  From pure happiness indicated by raucous laughter to empathy to deep reflective sorrow to getting fully enraged, it's all fair game in 10....ahem...207!

That sparked a jealousy in some students who were not doing the readings and were left out of these feelings! How can you feel what we're feeling if you have no idea what we're talking about? So many would go home and read or read during SSR* in class so that they could participate. Even struggling readers found ways to push themselves, some asking someone at home to read to/with them. They rose to the occasion!

We ended the reading and are finishing up an essay we started early on! How can I tell it was a literary revival? One, the discussions were great! Two, the kids nearly tore up our class library making the connection to that book and a book that had been in the library the entire year, Fudge Mania. They couldn't WAIT to read it!! Some divulging elements of the book before the rest of us even realized it was in the library!

Oh, but wait, I should be using Story Town? It has its place. And I did use it that time when...cuz see what had happened was, because I be doin' stuff and whatnot...but then I be like

(Just code switched on them and some are just as lost right now...it's cool though...lol)

*Note: SSR is NEVER a time filler in 10...207, but is intentional. Reading for pleasure, anything they want, is intentional. And I'd love to (and have) engage in pedagogical discussions on the DEregulation of Silent Sustained Reading. Let the kids read. Leave them alone. And don't use SSR or DEAR as punitive with things like, "YOU KNOW WHAT CLASS!! Since you want to talk and play around, take out a book and read!! SSR!! That'll teach you!!" Ummmm....naw!! Nope!

No comments:

Post a Comment