Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Detention for Mastery! *Edited*

Several groups gathered today at School District of Philadelphia headquarters to protest the mass privatization of our public schools. Community groups of parents, teachers, and advocates gathered to chant, to be visible, to speak, and to make our presence known. Among the groups was the NAACP!

Mastery Charter School parents, students, teachers, CEO and supporters of their cause were also there and counter-protested. It's the 1st Amendment at work, in the exact same space where we were.

Ok, sure!

But....

I take issue with the adults "hyping" up the kids to interrupt PARENTS as they spoke in favor of keeping our schools TRUELY public!! I heard and saw the obnoxious adults with my own two ears and eyes. Mastery's adults permitting and encouraging their students to interrupt PARENTS who were speaking into the mic says to me "we don't appreciate parents who disagree with us and we will turn a deaf ear to you, yea rather, we'll interrupt you and drown you out!"

For that alone I say we stamp Mastery Charter School's demerit card 1000x over and give THEM a detention!!

I also have a problem with cowardly adults!!

Detention!!

Who, pray tell, hides behind hype teens?

Detention!!

Be man or woman enough to stand with me toe-to-toe and explain how you think it's fair to divert money and resources from an under-resourced school system to your schools?

For hiding behind your students and for egging them on to interrupt parents as they spoke...

Detention!!!

I'm also curious to know if they used time during the school day to organize the students for these very political purposes! When did you type up notices to gather? When did you make announcements or send emails? Hmmmm.....501(c)3??? Hmmmm....???
Are the kids getting paid? Maybe extra credit? Gift cards? I just have some questions. How much money is Philadelphia School Partnership sending your way to "help out"?

I say we figure all of this out in detention!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment