Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

REAL Progress!

I'm sitting here marking some multiplication drill sheets (collective gasp...I heard it....what? Flemming? Worksheets? DRILL SHEETS?? Yes.).

I am excited about the progress that one of my student's in particular is making at being able to compute products! I can CLEARLY see the growth she's made from the beginning of the school year through today!

It's unfortunate that these assessments and even some administrators hung up on these assessments may not get to see and celebrate what I see and that my performance and skills as a teacher are based in part on such flawed measures of success!

And to the worksheet thing? Yes I do. I mix very progressive pedagogy with very conservative old school pedagogy, whatever works for my students, period! It's not a noxious concoction, but rather a "I'll teach however you learn" potion!


No comments:

Post a Comment